ISO 9000 Compliance Software
Manufacturers and companies around the world use ISO 9000 quality standards to ensure that manufactured products meet customer and regulatory requirements. First published in 1987 by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the ISO standard has evolved to encompass a wide variety of standards, and these standards continue to evolve and improve over time. While adherence to ISO standards is voluntary, many customers prefer ISO-certified vendors and suppliers, and many countries require ISO certification. ISO standards continue to evolve through the continuous improvement of the ISO standards, such as the evolution of ISO 9001:2008 to the new standard ISO 9001:2015.
ISO 9001:2008 Compliance
ISO 9001 is one of the fundamental standards in the family of 9000 standards. ISO 9001 sets the foundation to establish the standards for creating and maintaining a quality management system. Changes to ISO 9001 will very likely impact many other processes and documents. Change is inevitable, as can be demonstrated by the evolution of ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015.
Organizations that have been independently audited and certified to be in conformance with ISO 9001 standards may publicize that it is “ISO 9001 certified”.
Requirements of ISO 9001 Certification
- Maintain a set of procedures that cover all key processes in the business
- Monitor processes to ensure processes are effective
- Keep adequate records
- Check product output for defects, and use appropriate corrective action when necessary
- Regularly review individual processes and the quality system itself for effectiveness
- Facilitate continual improvement according to ISO 9001 standards
ISO 9001:2015 Compliance
All companies certified to ISO 9001:2008 have three years to transition to the new standard ISO 9001:2015 due to the complexity of the new requirements. ISO 9001:2015 is the latest revision of the world’s most widely applied international quality management system standards. The update focuses mainly on risk management.
Intellect Software for ISO Compliance
Intellect QMS helps address ISO 9001 standards in many industries to produce the safest and highest quality products available. Intellect QMS consists of document control, CAPA, nonconformance, audit management, customer complaints, training, and additional modules that automate and streamline the quality process and provide reports for making better and safer products.
Intellect’s QMS product suite provides the industry’s most configurable solution designed to enable users to adjust and adhere to new quality standards. Learn how Intellect QMS can help meet key ISO requirements today and tomorrow, and how to keep costs down while doing so.
ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.5 for Documented Information
- Approve documents before distribution
- Provide correct version of documents at points of use
- Use records to prove that requirements have been met
- Develop a procedure to control records
Intellect Document Control for ISO 9000 standards includes routing, escalation, approval, and delivery of SOPs, policies, and other documentation. All documentation resides in a centralized and secure data repository accessible to users based on permissions levels granted to each user. Provides version control that tracks who made what changes, when, and who approved changes. The system ensures that only the most recent version is available for users, while previous versions are securely stored for audit purposes.
ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.1 for Monitoring, Measurement, Analysis, and Evaluation
- Requires an evaluation of the performance of a quality system and the examination of audit results by management
- Requires an examination of all Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPA) by management
- Requires an examination of customer feedback and complaints by management
- Requires an examination of product conformity data
Intellect CAPA provides Corrective and Preventive Action solutions to ensure that team members and management have detailed reports to perform management reviews. CAPA captures data from multiple sources and forms, eliminating human errors through manual data entry. Intellect CAPA offers standard and highly customizable reports, including a dashboard to monitor the entire quality management life cycle according to ISO 9000 standards.
ISO 9001:2015 Clause 7.2 & 7.3 for Competence & Awareness
The people responsible for collecting, processing, compatibility testing, storing, or distributing blood and blood components shall be adequate in number, educational background, training, and experience, including professional training as necessary to assure competent performance. This approach ensures that the final product has the purity, safety, potency, identity, and effectiveness it purports or represents to possess.
Intellect Training Management provides a central system to monitor and assign all training tasks and certifications to help achieve ISO 9000 compliance. Intellect Training Management informs users of required coursework and certifications by automatically sending notices and reminders.
ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.6 for Control of Changes
Establish a system to identify, document, and control design changes.
Intellect Change Management software can manage and streamline the change control process by leveraging industry best practices, including prioritization, automated risk assessment prompts, and customizable reports with real-time data for smarter decision-making.
ISO 9001:2015 Clause 10.2 for Nonconformity and Corrective Action
Control of nonconformances requires documentation pertaining to nonconforming product, corrective actions, concessions, and customer reports.
Organizations must ensure that product which does not conform to product requirements of ISO 9000 standards is unintended and controlled to prevent its unintended use or delivery.
Intellect Nonconformance helps organizations to ensure that products that do not conform to product requirements of ISO 9000 are identified and controlled to prevent unintended use. Intellect offers a highly configurable solution to automate, manage, and streamline the process to identify, evaluate, review, and handle nonconforming materials.
ISO 13485 Compliance
ISO 13485 is an international management standard developed specifically for medical device manufacturers, and provides a model for an effective quality management system (QMS) for the design and manufacture of medical devices. ISO 13485 was revised in 2016 to address suppliers and incorporate risk. ISO 13485:2016 requires device makers to apply a risk-based approach to all quality processes, including any outsourced processes, and more structure to validation, verification, and design transfer. Companies certified on ISO 13485:2003 have three years to transition to ISO 13485:2016.
Intellect Features for ISO 13485
Intellect helps medical device companies comply with ISO 13485 with Document Control, Supplier Management, Training Management, CAPA, Audit Management, Customer Complaints, and Nonconformance. Our solutions automate the assignment and monitoring of training tasks and certification level, with automatic reminders about next course requirements or upcoming certifications that need to be renewed. Intellect helps to streamline and manage audit processes, scheduling and planning for recurring audits, integrating corrective and preventive action processes, reduce data entry and eliminate human errors.
Intellect provides analytics and reporting capabilities to help with audits, customer complaints, and nonconformances. Intellect is designed to help medical device manufacturers comply with ISO 13485 by automating, managing, and streamlining the process of identifying, evaluating, reviewing, and handling of nonconforming materials, components, parts, and finished products.
ISO 14000 Compliance
ISO 14000 and ISO 14001 were designed to incorporate environmental aspects into manufacturing operations and product quality standards. These standards are applicable to organizations of all sizes, and are the world’s most recognized environmental management system framework.
ISO 14000 Requirements
Benefits of ISO 14000
ISO 14001 Compliance
ISO 14001 is an international standard that specifies the requirements for an Environment Management Systems (EMS). The international standard is intended for organizations wanting to enhance their environmental performance and manage their environmental responsibilities systematically. The framework was founded on the concept of Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA).
ISO 14001 standard has many benefits. Companies should consider adopting it as one of their strategic approaches to improving environmental performance.
Benefits of ISO 14001
• Improvements in overall environmental performance and compliance.
• Providing a framework for using pollution prevention practices to meet EMS objectives.
• Increased efficiency and potential cost savings when managing environmental obligations.
• Demonstrate compliance with legal and other requirements
• Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees
• Improve company image and credibility
• Enable process of continuous improvement
• Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
ISO 14001:2015 Compliance
Intellect EH&S helps to address critical clauses within ISO 14001 to help companies enhance their environmental performance. Intellect EH&S consists of Aspects & Impacts, Audit Management, CAPA, Chemical Management, EH&S dashboard, Document Control, Employee Training, Incident Management, Inspection Management, Risk Management, and Waste Management.
ISO 14001:2015 CLAUSE 6.1 (Actions to address risks and opportunities)
• Determine the environmental aspects of an organization’s activities, products, and services.
• Determine the aspects that have or can have a significant environmental impact.
• Communicate significant environmental impacts & aspects across the organization.
Intellect Aspects & Impacts enables organizations to manage environmental aspects & impact on their operation. Organizations can use Aspects & Impacts to identify significant impacts, develop risk reduction plans, and monitor progress.
ISO 14001:2015 CLAUSE 6.1.3 & 9.1.2 (Compliance Obligations & Evaluation of Compliance)
• Determine and access compliance obligations
• Determine how these compliance obligations apply to the organization
• Evaluate fulfillment of these compliance obligations
Intellect Waste Management enables organizations to establish a management system to determine their waste generator status and waste streams, track the generation and disposal of waste, and maintain RCRA compliance.
ISO 14001:2015 CLAUSE 9.1 (Monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation)
• Monitor the effectiveness of operational and other controls
• Measure and analysis environmental activities related to identified risks and opportunities
• Evaluate the OH&S performance and effectiveness of the Environmental management systems
Intellect Incident Management enables organizations to track and collect critical information following an environmental incident and guide the investigation process. Examples of environmental incidents include spills, pollutant discharge, and air contamination. Furthermore, the system will notify the appropriate leaders and assign effective corrective action to prevent future reoccurrence.
ISO 14971 Compliance
The FDA recognizes ISO 14971 as an acceptable risk management model and the European Union has made it mandatory. ISO 14971 requires manufacturers to use specific processes in order to identify the hazards associated with medical devices, including in vitro diagnostics (IVD) medical devices, at all stages of the lifecycle of a medical device. Organizations must adhere to strict process guidelines to estimate and evaluate associated risks, to control these risks, and to monitor the effectiveness of these controls.
ISO 15189 Compliance
The ISO 15189 standards provide a quality management framework that enables medical laboratories to meet international standards for patient care and laboratory responsibility. ISO 15189 standards can also improve laboratory services, products, and business processes. Training for ISO 15189 is critical, and compliance requires that an organization must ensure that there are sufficient qualified personnel with adequate documented training and experience to meet the needs of the laboratory.
ISO 17025 Compliance
ISO 17025 laboratory standards apply to first, second, and third party laboratories that perform testing and calibration services. ISO 17025 accreditation assures potential customers and financial supporters that laboratories meet international standards, including document control, supplier management, CAPA, nonconformance, change control, training, audit management, and continued improvement. Document control within the laboratory environment is critical and includes documents, policies, procedures, programs, systems, and instructions.
Intellect helps organizations to meet ISO 17025 laboratory standards by providing document control management, including quality documentation, quality plans, sampling and testing documentation, quality manuals, SOPs, pre-audit checklist, training records and certifications, test reports and calibration certificates. Our solution is highly flexible, and can be set-up to meet your unique requirements, with users given various permissions view, edit, and approve documentation. All documentation is available in a secure and centralized environment accessible by desktop and mobile devices.
Workflow automatically routes documentation and tasks to the appropriate person for approval. Intellect’s powerful and flexible workflow technology can accommodate any unique business process. Documentation, processes, and tasks can all trigger next steps, such as the release of training tasks, follow-ups, and escalations. The system tracks all activities and provides a complete electronic trail for audit purposes, and then leverages all data for analytics and reporting.
ISO 27001 Compliance
With 27001:2022, several clauses were changed, and new ones were added. Intellect can help with the following:
- 4.4 Information security management system – This new clause requires that processes and “their interactions” are identified, which reminds us a lot of ISO 9001. With Intellect, you can design interactions as part of diagrams and flow charts.
- 6.2 Information Security Objectives – Objectives must be documented and available for all stakeholders. Intellect Document Control, Risk Management, and Environmental Management apps are terrific resources for clause 6.2.
- 6.3 Planning of changes – From now on, all changes require documented planning. Look to Intellect’s Document Control app.
- 8.1 Operational planning and control – Organizations must define criteria for operational processes. However, criteria can mean anything from a security requirement to a business need or customer request. Intellect can help with Document Control and Change Management apps.
- 9 Performance evaluation – Methods to evaluate and monitor your controls should produce comparable results so the organization can assess trends. Use Intellect’s Document Control, Change Management, and Risk Management apps to support clause 9.
- 9.2 Internal audits – Internal assessments must cover all organizations’ requirements, not only ISO 27001. This may be a broader attempt to be more comprehensive as a Management System. Intellect can help with its Audit Management, Preventive Actions (part of CAPA), and Risk Management apps.
In addition to specific apps helping to satisfy requirements in some of the newly updated ISO 27001:2022 clauses and Annex A, Intellect has added policies and frameworks related to 27001:2022, especially regarding security in the application environment (AWS).
- Access Control Policy: Intellect’s Access Control Policy defines access controls including, but not limited to, least privilege access, separation of duties, password requirements, multi-factor authentication, and auditing.
- Security Breach Procedure: Intellect’s Security Breach Procedure is designed to outline the process to be followed in the event of a security breach. The policy outlines how to identify, verify, quarantine, notify pertinent parties, analyze, recover, and report on any security breaches in the Intellect environment.
- Information Classification: This policy establishes a framework for classifying and protecting information assets within Intellect’s organization. It aims to ensure the appropriate handling, storage, transmission, and disposal of information based on its sensitivity, criticality, and value.
For more information about the main changes in the ISO 27001:2022 mandatory clauses, Annex A, and how to transition to this new ISO 27001:2022 update, please see ISO 27001:2022 Everything You Need to Know About The Changes
ISO 45001 Compliance
ISO 45001:2018 is a replacement for OSHAS 18001 as the new international standard for workplace safety. The main difference between the two standards is ISO 45001 takes a proactive approach that requires hazard risks to be evaluated and remedied before they cause accidents and injuries, while OHSAS 18001 takes a reactive approach that focuses solely on risks and not solutions.
ISO 45001 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system. The goal of ISO 45001 is the reduction of occupational injuries and diseases, including promoting and protecting physical and mental health. ISO 45001 is intended to be applicable to any organization regardless of its size, type, and nature. ISO 45001 enables an organization, through its OH&S management system, to integrate other aspects of health and safety, such as worker wellness/wellbeing. ISO 45001 follows the high-level structure approach that is being applied to other ISO management system standards, such as ISO 9001 (quality) and ISO 14001 (environment).
Benefits of ISO 45001
• Improve overall health & safety performance
• Encourage leadership commitment and employee participation
• Develop OH&S objectives to drive improvement across the organization
• Determine operational hazards and OH&S risks
• Establish operational controls to manage identified hazards and risks
• Comply to legal and other requirements
• Improve case management and reduce cost associated with accidents and incidents
• Reducing downtime and the costs of disruption to operations
• Improve company image and credibility
• Enable process of continuous improvement
ISO 45001:2018 Compliance
Intellect EH&S helps to address critical clauses within ISO 45001 to help companies enhance their OH&S performance. Intellect EH&S consists of Job Hazard Analysis, Audit Management, CAPA, Chemical Management, EH&S dashboard, Document Control, Employee Training, Incident Management, Inspection Management, and Risk Management.
ISO 45001:2018 CLAUSE 6.1 (Actions to address risks and opportunities)
• Establish, implement, and maintain a process (es) for hazard identification
• Assess OH&S risks from identified hazards
• Evaluate the effectiveness of existing controls
• Determine opportunities to eliminate OH&S hazards and reduce risks
Intellect Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) provides a platform to identify and mitigate hazards associated with a process to understand and control risk. A JHA can prevent injuries and illnesses. Intellect Job Hazard Analysis includes a default assessment form adopted from the manufacturing industry to identify the high, medium, and low-risk tasks within a multi-step operation process.
ISO 45001:2018 CLAUSE 8.1 (Operational Planning and Control)
• Establish, implement, and maintain a process (es) for eliminating hazards and reducing risks
• Establish criteria and implement controls
Intellect Chemical Management makes managing and tracking chemicals easy. The system brings traceability of chemicals to the organization by documenting the procurement, storage, and handling of chemicals. The system tracks the chemicals inventory onsite, and chemicals approved through the procurement process. Intellect Chemical Management workflow helps to automate and streamline the check and balance process.
ISO 45001:2018 CLAUSE 9.1 (Monitoring, measurement, Analysis and Evaluation)
• Monitor the effectiveness of operational and other controls
• Measure and analyze activities related to identified hazards, risks, and opportunities
• Evaluate the OH&S performance and effectiveness of the OH&S management systems
Intellect Inspection Management enables organizations to establish a formal process to plan future inspections, assign inspectors, track findings, escalate and notify leadership, determine underlying issues, and recommend corrective actions. Incident Management helps to automate and streamline the process of implementing and maintaining proper operational controls.
Intellect Incident Management enables organizations to track and collect critical information following an OH&S incident and guide the injury investigation process. Furthermore, the system will notify the appropriate leaders and assign effective corrective action to prevent future reoccurrence. Incident Management includes a customizable report to determine injury trends and common hazards.